The Science Behind Protein Intake and Child Development
We have all heard about the importance of protein for child growth. Still, there are studies to show that one in seven children do not get the daily required protein intake. It is because most of us do not understand what proteins do for the child’s body. What is the science behind protein intake and child development?
Before you go looking for protein drinks for kids or other sources of protein for your little one, this information can be useful. It will even help you choose the right product for your little one.
How Do Protein Rich Foods Help in Child Growth
Whether it is protein drinks for kids or fresh produce, let us begin by understanding why they are so important.
First, what are proteins made of? Protein contains long chains of amino acids. Amino acids, as you know, are the body’s building blocks. Any repair or growth that happens within the body is because of them. Now, the human body needs 20 different amino acids to function at its best capacity.
Out of 20, the body can produce 11 on its own. The other nine needs to come from sources like protein drinks for kids. It is why protein is so important.
Of course, it is also a macronutrient. It means that your body needs to consume large quantities of this nutrient to stay healthy. With protein drinks for kids, you can fulfil this requirement quickly.
What Does Protein Do in the Body?
Protein plays several roles in the body. Some of them are:
- Muscle growth and development: Every muscle in the body is made up of amino acids. When your child plays or performs any physical activity, these amino acids also act as fuel. Adding the right protein drinks for kids in his or her diet helps restore the levels of amino acids in the muscles. These amino acids are also used to build new muscle fibres helping your child grow properly.
- Improves immunity: Our immune system is made up of millions of cells. These cells also need proteins to repair themselves and grow in numbers. With protein drinks for kids, you can ensure that your child has better immunity. It means no falling sick often and just being able to enjoy childhood thoroughly.
- Brain function: The brain also needs proteins as fuel. After all, it is a muscle too. When your protein intake is low, brain fogginess or feeling mental fatigue is quite common. If you see that your child is lazy, is unable to concentrate or focus, protein drinks for kids can be beneficial.
- They keep you energetic: As mentioned before, protein is a fuel. When the body has enough energy, it keeps going. Especially for children who are athletic or involved in physically demanding activities, protein plays a vital role in improving performance.
The Result of Protein Deficiency
If you see any of the following signs, it may be time to choose good protein drinks for your child:
- Severe fatigue
- Slowed growth
- Pain in the bones and joints
- Poor concentration
- Wounds do not heal quickly
- The immune response is low
How Much Protein Is Needed?
Several factors determine how much protein your child needs each day. Based on this, you can choose protein drinks for kids that are best suited. Three most important things to consider are:
- The age of the child
- The gender of the child
- The activity levels of the child
- Any pre-existing medical condition
On average, the recommended intake per day according to the age group is as follows:
- 1-3 years- 13g
- 4-8 years- 19 g
- 9-13 years- 34 g
To be sure, you should consult your doctor. You can choose protein drinks for kids depending on the amount of protein per serving. It ensures that you can calculate the exact intake. It not only helps you avoid malnutrition, but it can even prevent issues related to over-consumption.
Why Should I Choose Protein Drinks for Kids?
There are several reasons why protein drinks for kids are the ideal supplement:
- A single source with concentrated nutrients: You have one reliable source with a good amount of vital nutrients. So you are sure that a certain amount of these nutrients are definitely going in your child’s diet. Calculating this with individual meals is quite a challenge.
- They are easy to use: All you have to do is mix the protein powder with milk or any other beverage of your choice. You can even add these powders to baked goodies or snacks. Protein drinks for kids can be consumed on the go. So, even with your child juggling between school, co-curricular activities, classes and playtime, you can stay rest assured that he or she is getting the nutrition that he needs.
- Added nutrients: Protein drinks for kids contain several other nutrients that are necessary for child growth. This includes vitamins and minerals, omega-3 fatty acids, carbohydrates and more. These nutrients provide added health benefits to keep your child healthy.
- The best option for fussy eaters: Protein drinks come in many flavours like chocolate or strawberry that kids love. Even with a fussy eater, you can be sure that he or she will readily drink a thick and tasty protein shake.
There are several products like Gritzo Supermilk that are perfectly suited for children of different age groups. These protein drinks for kids are extremely beneficial to athletic kids as well. Make sure that you include them as part of a healthy diet to get the best results. Protein drinks can be added as part of your child’s breakfast, as a snack or immediately after playtime or any type of physical activity like dance or sports to give your child maximum health benefits.